Anxiety - A battle - A Stalemate !


A few years ago, we had a couple of friends over for a Diwali Party. 

My husband and his friend made Weed Brownies. Before this day I had never smoked up. The dessert junkie in me ate two of those. In about 30 minutes, 12 people in my house were laughing like idiots and I was dragging my husband to the hospital. 
I had just experienced my FIRST PANIC ATTACK !
I couldn't breathe, I had to be given oxygen and 3 injections before I became normal. 

It is unfair to blame my anxiety on the weed brownies but I guess they just opened a door which I had closed since time immemorial...
I had a few more Panic Attacks before a doctor suggested I see a Psychiatrist. 
My first reaction was : I AM GOING MAD !!!
I was losing it. I cried and cried and then cried some more. 
Visited a Psychiatrist - who didn't make me lie down, didn't even give me my 1 hour to talk - saw me for exactly 4 minutes and gave me an SOS medicine. 
Were the movies a farce ?Where was my couch ? 
That was the day I went and researched and realized that I needed a Therapist not a Psychiatrist. 
at 32 years of age I got to know the difference between a Psychiatrist and a Therapist. It was never a part of my school or family curriculum. 
 
My Family and friends were shocked - Why do you need to see a Mental Doctor? You are so lively and cheerful and full of life. You are absolutely fine - was the common answer I got from everyone I knew. 
My Husband and my Sister were my pillars of strength and after meeting a couple of therapists ( this is for another post ) I found someone whom I could trust. 
Life changed. Not after the first meeting nor the second. But slowly, gradually things started to improve. 
I have not had a Panic Attack since I started Therapy. I've been off Therapy for 2.5 years now. 
I am not Anxiety Free. But I am not Anxiety Bound. 

Reach out for help if you need it. 
In India, people don't understand the importance of Mental Health. 
We have a long way to go. 
There is no shame in reaching out for help.
Do it for yourself and your loved ones. 

Therapy helped me - Therapy
can help you too. 

Comments

Popular Posts